Raw + Vegan Summer Berry Cheesecake
Summertime and the living is easy, and so is this super delicious, completely raw cheesecake! Since today is Fourth of July, I thought to share my simple vegan cheesecake recipe that is perfect to take to any backyard barbecue. No need to heat up an oven for this one – using all raw ingredients makes it a sinch to put together. It is also ideal for those who are lactose intolerant, diabetic and those who follow gluten free diets, as there is no refined sugar, wheat or dairy in this recipe.
- 8 medjool dates (soaked in water for 20 mintues)
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts (may use macadamia, almonds, or pecans instead)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- Dash of cinnamon
- Dash of nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups cashews (soaked in water overnight)
- 1/3 cup liquid coconut oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Fresh berries of your choice for topping.
- Combine walnuts (or other choice), drained dates, coconut, lime, and spices in a food processor fitted with an s-blade and pulse until combined into a sticky texture.
- Line a 9 inch baking pan* with parchment paper and spread crust mixture evenly across bottom.
- Drain the cashews of all water and add them to a high-powered blender.
- Add in coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Mix until smooth
- Add the filling atop the crust and spread evenly.
- Cover with foil and place in the freezer for 4-6 hours.
- Take the cheesecake out of the freezer 15 to 20 minutes before you are ready to serve it. Top with fresh raspberries, strawberries and blueberries or any berries of your choosing. For additional sweetness, you may drizzle maple syrup over top.
- * A springform pan works best for this recipe.
Fresh lime juice adds the perfect tanginess to the filling, which mirrors the slightly sour punch of your classic dairy cheesecake. Although I used limes since they were what I had on hand, you may also use lemons or any other citrus you think would pair well. The colors of this cheesecake are perfect for the summer or any patriotic weekend. Freshness of the berries go nicely with the creaminess of the filling and sweetness of the crust. Since this recipe is completely raw, vegan and sugar-free, you can eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner! Enjoy!